A lot of us think that an aquarium lid serves as covering to prevent particles from getting in your aquarium and harming your fish. Although this is true, this is not the sole purpose of an aquarium lid. Below is the list of uses and advantages of investing in a hood for your fish tank.
1. Your aquarium hood will house the lighting systems and light bulbs for your aquarium. There are various models that are designed to accommodate the light and lighting fixtures so it will be less noticeable in your aquarium, yet elevated high enough from the water to prevent any damage to your lights and your fish.
2. They function to prevent your fish from jumping out of the aquarium. You may not believe it but there are several species of fishes that frequently jump out of the aquarium which is often fatal to their health.
3. If you have pet in your home, particularly a cat, an aquarium lid is necessary to keep your fishes safe. Cats can reach into the water and attempt to get the fishes so keeping your aquarium lid shut will prevent any harm to your pet fish.
4. It can also keep the temperature constant thus preventing evaporation. When an aquarium is left open without a covering the water can evaporate due to the changes in temperature. The lights are also responsible for a large amount of heat and this too can result in evaporation of the water.
5. Lastly, it can be used for decorative purpose as it adds a nice touch to your aquarium.
You can find all kinds of aquarium lids made from different materials. Before you purchase your aquarium lid, make sure you have the exact right measurements sot that the lid is a good fit. If you don’t have an exact fit, then you may find that it results in light and heat being adversely affected as well as problems with evaporation.
You should also ensure that you read through the information on the proper way of maintaining it so you can keep it looking as good as new for years to come. This is particularly important if you are going to be investing in a wooden aquarium hood as they can warp due to the heat and water that they may come into contact with. Make sure you know how to keep it clean and learn how to remove stains if needed without adversely affecting the health of your fish.
Source by Lovette Matas